Family 2014

Family 2014

Family 2010

Family 2010

Sisters - 2010

Sisters - 2010

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Who is Cali's best friend?

Cali needs a best friend too. As I sit with the school psychologist he asks me who Cali's best friend is? This questions hits a nerve in me more than any of the other questions on his never ending questionnaire. He runs down the list and every area is the same, she scores in the same range. The reality is Cali is very delayed. We are in the process of getting exact scores now but I would estimate she is at a 3 year old level in most areas and she is 12. Cali is getting tested because we requested an one on one aide for her and the school district came back with the solution of doing her Triennial Review a year early, which is a big deal I must say. So we will see what recommendations her teachers and therapists and school psych have and we are hoping and praying she can get more services. Our goal is for Cali to have a strong team of motivated, loving and skilled people that support her as much as possible. Cali is in middle school now and she deserves for all of us to come together and take a close look at how we are teaching and guiding her. I am a FIRM believer in it takes a village to raise a child and we have three kids so it really requires an entire tribe.

Back to the original unnerving question: who is Cali's best friend?" I immediately think of beautiful sweet Cali. She looks into your eyes and you can see she knows what's up. She is a special girl and she touches people in a way like no other. The challenge here is it takes special attention to stop, slow down and give Cali the one on one connection or to try and really understand her. Its a lot to ask from an adult so a child her age is really pushing it. So this really is a loaded question.

My answer would have to be when it comes down to it we all have to be Cali's best friend. Just like typical best friends you bond and learn different lessons from different people. Since Cali is so delayed it takes much more time and patience to teach her something that would typically be easy to learn. So I am asking my friends, family and anyone that has the privilege to meet sweet Cali to please look into her eyes and be her best friend. Give her something to grow from. Leave a legacy in her life. Cali needs as many best friends as she can possibly have because her path of life requires support and love from others. She cannot make it alone. To all of our friends and family that love Cali as much as we do we say thank you from the bottom of our hearts. She needs us, all of us, all of the time, to be her best friend. Everyone deserves a few :-).

1 comment:

  1. Cristy, I would be honored to be considered one of Cali's best friends! Even though I don't live close to you anymore, the time I spent working with Cali still has a big impact on my life. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to work with her for over 2 years. Her bright personality always shined through with her great big smile. I loved seeing her each and every day. She was a constant reminder of what unconditional love is all about. On days that I was feeling down, I would come to work and be uplifted by little Cali. She has a light about her that naturally brightens up the room! Even though she is delayed in some ways, her unlimited gifts she gives to others outweighs anything she is lacking. I want you to know that I will never forget my days working with and spending time with Cali. She is and will always be an incredible gift to me and all who come in contact with her. Just know that even though I am not close, I would always be there for you. Thanks to you Cristy and Cali for all of the gifts you share with everyone. You are an inspiration to all. I love you guys! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete